Friday, April 5, 2013

Looking back: weekly meals


Here is what I have been cooking this week. I must say, every meal has been absolutely delicious with minimal prep work. What more can a girl ask for?


  • The easy weeknight roast was something of my own creation after realizing there was a little, forgotten roast still in the fridge that I needed to cook up. Here is my method:
    • 1-3 or 4lb roast 
    • 1 jar of your favorite salsa
    • spice blend: salt, cumin, coriander, chili powder, cayenne 
      • Rub the roast all over with your spices 
      • heat a few Tbs oil in a heavy pan and brown the meat on all sides
      • Place in crock pot and pour salsa on top
      • cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4
      • serve with lots of avocado, salsa, sour cream over lettuce or in a taco/burrito!

  • I just made Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic last night. yum. If you aren't a huge fan of roasted garlic don't be turned off by this dish. The garlic isn't overwhelming but gives the chicken some incredible flavor. My biggest issue was cutting the raw chicken into 8 parts. I think I need a sharper knife...I kept the chicken...carcass...and threw it in the crock pot with some of the leftover garlic cloves (I didn't feel good about eating all 40 cloves lol), juices from the cooked chicken, leftover herbs, a carrot, 1/2 of an onion, about 8/10 cups of water, and 1/2 a cup of apple cider vinegar. Apparently the vinegar helps to leech the minerals from the chicken bones, giving you an extremely healthy and hearty chicken stock.

  • Monday night I made the Stuffed portabella mushrooms and roasted rosemary beets. Both were fantastic. My Hubby raved about the meal and even baby L loved it! Both were super simple to assemble and cook. Definitely adding this one to our weekly rotation
I'm excited to make burgers tonight. Partially because when we use the grill there is minimal cleanup in the kitchen for me. But mostly because I love bacon
Whats on your menu for the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment