Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cauliflower mash

Cauliflower isn't one of my favorite vegetables. I never buy it because I haven't ever found a way to cook it that makes it taste appetizing. I came across a recipe the other day that intrigued me so I decided to give it a try. This would be a great replacement for classic mashed potatoes, similar in texture and taste but without all of the heavy starches. This dish turned out very well! One consumer raved: "I normally HATE substitutions. When I hear 'Tofurkey' I don't think 'Oh great! a delicious low calorie alternative!' I think about the delicious roasted turkey that I could be eating compared to the gray matter that is being served, and then there is no recovery... No matter how good the alternative tastes, I am usually disappointed. Not with the Cauliflower mash, its delicious!"

Cauliflower mash

Ingredients:
  • 1 leek
  • 1 large head cauliflower
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 Tbs chicken stock
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Chives to garnish


Roughly chop your garlic and wash and slice the leek


Place cauliflower florets into a pot and steam for 10-12 minutes or until fork tender

Meanwhile saute leeks and garlic until soft 

Place cauliflower and the leek&garlic mixture into a blender or food processor with the chicken stock and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste

Serve with some yummy steak and veggies!











2 comments:

  1. Yummm! I've never tried it with leeks... but that looks delicious! I like to add light sour cream and sharp cheddar to my mashed cauliflower. (But that's not nearly as healthy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum,I'm sure it tastes amazing with cheese and sour cream! I will have to try it sometime

      Delete