Friday, March 15, 2013

Airplane Traveling tips {toddler/preschooler}

In light of Leah's recent post on traveling with a baby, I thought I would do a post on traveling with a toddler or preschooler. If you haven't already, go back and read her post, all of those are great suggestions! In addition to this I will add a few things that has worked great for us. We moved to a state where we didn't have any family when our oldest was 7 months so we too have done quite a bit of traveling to visit family over the past three years (look for my car trip tips soon!).

1. Bring your husband
Traveling is a thousand times easier when there are two parents there. If nothing else your husband can carry everything for you (see below)! If you are traveling by yourself, don't worry it can be done, just make sure you are extra prepared. Let me know if you have tips for traveling by yourself with more than one kid... I haven't been brave enough to try that yet.


2. Her own backpack
Madelyn loves to have her own bag because she feels so grown up with it and it is one thing that she can be in control of packing (well mostly). I still help guide her while packing it because she is not quite old enough to really think through what things/toys would be good to have on an airplane. I do give her a quart size Ziploc and let her fill it with any small toys she wants though. The Ziploc is wonderful because it keeps all the small things together and it is easy to access (I did this when she was younger too and just threw the Ziploc into my diaper bag). I also let her pick a few books and I add a few things I know will entertain her: a tiny notebook and something to draw with, playdough, stickers, baby bottle (to feed her stuffed animals), ect.

3. I spy bingo
We did this for the first time when we traveled this past Christmas (she was just shy of 3 1/2 yrs.) and she LOVED this! I have made a few different ones now for her to do when we go out to do errands and they keep her entertained for quite a while. When we traveled I made two different ones (one for the airport and one for the airplane) but we ended up doing both in the airport during two different layovers. I had a little wrapped present for her once she found everything ( a mini slinky and also playdough). The first time we did it she got one skittle every time she got a bingo (four in a row) with the present at the end but the second time we didn't do the candies and she still loved it.


4. An extra set of clothes
I read this tip online and thought "she is too old to need an extra set of clothes now, I only need to bring some for the baby." BRING SOME ANYWAYS!!! It is much better to be safe than sorry. We learned our lesson this past christmas when she got some pee on her clothes while trying to use the airplane toilet... the hand dryers on our layover was what saved us (and her 2 month old sisters' extra diaper until we could get off the aiplane, but she was not too happy about that).

5. Find the desserted terminal/area during layovers
Let the kids run around and burn some energy off when they can. It makes sitting on an airplane much more bearable if you can get them moving a little beforehand.


6. Ask if they have anything for kids
Last time we flew the flight attendant handed out little packs that contained coloring books, colored pencils and stickers to all the kids. I hadn't seen that before but the flight attendant said most planes (it was a southwest flight) will carry them especially if it is a longer flight. It never hurts to ask!

7. Treats
I am not above a little bribery when traveling... lollipops are great on an airplane because they last for a while. Sometimes we will let her pick out a special drink (gatorade usually) and a candy at the store before our trip to have only on the airplane.

8. Technology
Music, tv shows, ipad games... they are all helpful. Try to find some headphones that are made for kids because they will stay on better and be much more comfortable (I need to take my own advice next trip:)). I try to add a few new shows and apps to my ipad before a trip so she has something new to hold her attention.


9. I spy with my little eye...
When you have run out of things to do and your little one is getting antsy, try this game. It is a great distraction and can be done right in your seat. It will distract your little one from the melt down they were about the throw and buy you a few extra minutes.

Alright, anything I am missing??? I would love to hear what other tips you might have for traveling with young kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment