Friday, May 3, 2013

Routine Chart.

A few months ago we decided it was time to create a routine chart for our 3 1/2 year old in hopes that getting ready for the day and bedtime would go more smoothly. Before we used the chart these times of the day were often chaotic and filled with nonstop whining. In addition to that, things would get overlooked/not done all the time. So, in came our awesome routine chart, completely and totally inspired by this one here. I used her exact same concept and printed off the labels that she offers but created a new chart.

Currently we only use the morning and bedtime routines. As you can see we have a "my day" routine chart hanging up but we don't really use it right now... mostly because I forget to change out the labels for the next day (something you do not have to worry about with the other two routines). Her morning and bedtime routines stay the exact same every day so after I created the charts I figured out what I wanted to include and stuck the labels on in the order I wanted. 

So basically when it is time to start on her routine she just goes down the list starting at the top and completes the task, moving over the labels to the other side of the chart as she completes them. She can see what each thing is since there is a little picture on the label. Also it is super easy for her to see how much she has accomplished and how much she has left. After all the little labels are moved over she is done. I just leave the labels as they are and the next day she just moves them back the other way (this way I don't have to worry about resetting it).



Although I will not say that the whining has completely stopped (she is a three year old after all), most days it is dramatically reduced by this routine chart. She knows exactly what is expected of her and is able to complete (almost) everything on her list all by herself. I also love that I don't have to constantly remind her what to do (only point her towards her list if she gets sidetracked). Let me know if you wany my version of the charts and I will email them to you. I only wish we had started using this chart earlier!

It is hard to see in these pictures, but at the very bottom of her morning routine list is a label that says roomtime. This is another thing I do with her (that we started at about 12 months) that helps tremendously! Roomtime deserves a post all to itself so I will do one on it in the near future.

What things do you do with your littles to make your day go more smoothly???

No comments:

Post a Comment