Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Baby Sign Language

In the past few weeks I started noticing  that Bentley was getting very frustrated when wanting more food, to be held, and other things that could not communicate to us other then screaming. I wasn't sure how to go about this because I didn't want him to think that I was giving in to his screaming demands but at the same time he didn't have another way to tell me anything. So my husband and I have started trying to teach Bentley some sign language. In just the past week I have already noticed a big change. When he wants more food and starts to scream I ask him "more?", sign it, wait for him to stop screaming, and give it to him. This only took a few days and now he doesn't even get to point where he wants to scream out for it. As soon as he's done with what is on his tray I ask and sign "more?" and he understands that more is coming even if it takes me a second or two to get it to him. In the next few days I will probably start helping him make the signs as well. I really wish I would have started earlier but better late then never!

 Here are the signs we are learning:
Up



More
 Water
 Milk
xoxo- Tara
 

Pictures from babysignlanguage.com

1 comment:

  1. So great! We do this with Willow, though she kind of has her own version of signing. She signs "milk" for "thirsty" and puts out her hands like a question/shrug when she's "all done." "More" is like a clap. But, it's been so helpful! Even if it's not all "official" who cares? It's been working for us! Now we are working on "please" and "thank you."

    ReplyDelete