Friday, September 6, 2013

Fridge Pickles.

I tried making my own pickles for the first time last week and OH MY GOODNESS.... so delicious!!! We  I gobbled up both jars in a matter of days. I have always wanted to try my hand at it but for some reason thought it would be complicated. Well the good new is, it is actually quite the opposite! I did a quick pinterest search and found this post as my inspiration. I can't tell you exact measurements of everything because I kind of just guessed but I will give you an approximate. I will say that next time I will be adding more dill and a tad less garlic though :)

Does anyone else have any cucumbers still growing in their garden? If so, you definitely need to try this ASAP if you are a pickle lover too!


For one pint sized jar, you will need approximately:
  • 1-2 cucumbers
  • Fresh dill (2x more than pictured below probably)
  • ~1/2 cup white vinegar
  • ~1/2 cup water
  • 1 heaping tsp black peppercorns
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1-2 garlic cloves 
  • 48 hours of patience and self control

Chop cucumbers into spears (or whatever shape you desire):

Fill each jar about 1/4 -1/3 of the way full with vinegar and then add water until it is about half full (you can always add more liquid at the end if needed but the picture below shows how much liquid I used and after adding my cucumbers it was the perfect amount). Next add 2 teaspoons of salt to each jar:

Add a clove or two of garlic to each jar:

And the peppercorns:

Add some dill (I added more at the end as well) and your jars are ready for your cucumber spears!

Shove as many cucumbers as you can into your jars and then add more dill to the top and sides:

Now just put a lid on your jar and stick it in the fridge for 48 hours. I couldn't wait nearly that long to try them... but although they were tasty, they get better the longer they sit! That is it. Pretty easy and the result is so delicious. Supposedly you can re-use the liquid and just revamp it with some more spices... I have not tried that yet though.
 
This was my fist attempt at making pickles so I am no expert by any means but I thought they were super tasty! Have you ever tried making pickles before? What tips or favorite recipes do you have for me?

1 comment: